The castle of the Silesian Piasts – the so-called „The Silesian Wawel” was erected on the site of a fortified Gothic castle. Its present form is the result of the Renaissance style reconstruction by the Italian architects Jakub Parr, Franciszek Parr and Bernard Niuron. The castle was destroyed during the siege of the town in 1741 and rebuilt between 1966 and 1990. The preserved richly decorated facade of the building is considered to be one of the most magnificent historical monument of the Renaissance period in Central Europe. It also features a courtyard with restored three-storey galleries. A part of the Renaissance interior of the rooms was preserved on the ground floor of the eastern wing. Presently, the castle houses the Museum of the Silesian Piasts. Its permanent exhibition presents the town’s history, the history of the Silesian Piasts as well as Silesian sculpture and painting of 15th -18th centuries from the collection of the National Museum in Wroclaw including the paintings of the greatest Silesian Baroque painter – Michael Leopold Wilmann. In the museum there are sarcophaguses of the Legnica and Brzeg dukes and the only perfectly preserved medieval hunting bow in Poland (14th century), which was found during the excavation works at Mleczna Street in Brzeg.
St Jadwiga’s castle church – the chancel of the former collegiate church built in the 14th century, converted into the mausoleum of the Legnica and Brzeg Piasts. After the destruction of the church and the collegiate development in 1741, the next renovation took place in 1783. During the castle’s reconstruction in the 20th century, the church was restored to the Gothic style once again. Twenty-two copper and tin sarcophaguses with the remains of the Legnica and Brzeg Piasts were preserved in the church crypt. The sarcophaguses made in the 16th and 17th centuries are highly valued monuments of the sepulchral art. Some of them are exhibited in the museum.
St Nicholas’ church – the Gothic three-nave basilica was erected between 1370 and 1417 on the site of the former parish church. Between 1884 and 1885 the church was extended with towers and the porches of the church were reconstructed. It was destroyed in 1945 and rebuilt in the 1960s. It has one of the tallest naves in Silesia (approx. 30 metres high). The bourgeoisie epitaphs (from the Renaissance to the Baroque) were preserved from the former richly decorated interior. The chancel features a Gothic triptych from 1500. The Gothic polychromes dated 1418 and 1428 were discovered during the reconstruction works carried out in the sacristy. The Trail of Medieval Polychromes (the blue trail) starts in the St Nicholas church itself . The contemporary stained glass windows decorate the chancel behind the organs and in the aisles.
The Raising of the Holy Cross church a one-nave Baroque church – was erected on the site of the Dominican church and monastery demolished in 1545. The Jesuits who settled in Brzeg in 1681, undertook the initiative of the church construction. The construction of the church according to Joseph Frisch’s construction design was carried out between 1734 and 1739. Between 1739 and 1745, the Jesuit Jan Kuben decorated the interior of the church with illusionistic polychromes. Between 1856 and 1857, the church was extended with towers according to the Baron von Wilczek’s design and the facade was plastered.
The Renaissance town hall, the work of Jakub Parr and Bernard Niuron built between 1570 and 1577 was erected on the site of the Gothic town hall burnt in 1569. The interior features the Large Ceiling Room with the larch ceiling dating from 1648. The northern wing features an early Rococo Councillors’ Room from 1746. The Renaissance portal is built in the southern wall – moved here from the tenement house at 6 Zamkowa Street which was knocked down in 1926.
The Piast Gymnasium – the former Illustre Bregense Gymnasium built between 1564 and 1596 by Jakub Parr, destroyed in 1741 and rebuilt on several occasions. After its destruction in 1945, it was rebuilt between 1963 and 1967. The preserved Renaissance gate features a vault and the gate portal.
The post-Franciscan Saint Peter and Paul’s church, the first mention of the church comes from 1285, it was being extended till 1338. In 1582 it was converted into an arsenal. Since 1930, it was used as a warehouse. The interior features the preserved lamella roof of the nave from around 1500. The tower of the church collapsed after the flood in 1997.
The monument of the Holy Trinity – founded by the builder of the Raising of the Holy Cross church (Jan Krzysztof Melcher of Prudnik) in 1731 is probably a work by Karol Schlein of Nysa.
The River Odra Gate – a fragment of the former Renaissance municipal fortifications was constructed in 1595 by Bernard Niuron and moved to the River Odra Park in 1895.
Valuable tenement houses:
The tenement house at 2 Market Square featuring some Gothic elements.
The tenement house at 4 Chopin Street – the Renaissance house from 1597 was restored in 1883 and 1929.
The 18th century tenement houses at 5 and 7 Jablkowa Street.
A framework steel bridge on the River Odra from 1891, brought to Brzeg in 1954 from Fordon near Bydgoszcz.
Architectural monuments of Jewish culture – a cemetery at ks. K. Makarski Street as well as the building of a former synagogue (the corner of Dluga and Jagielly Streets).